Memoir of a Brand Manager (Part 14)
Joy-Ride : Career Lessons
My career in marketing started 29 years ago in July 1990 when I joined Cadbury Nigeria as a Management Trainee.
Photo below was taken in 2018 in the room where I had the final interview three weeks prior to resumption, on a day that happened to be my birthday, with then Planning Director who subsequently became Managing Director, Bunmi Oni, MON.
It’s It’s been a roller-coaster ride since then, and I’m grateful to God, family, friends, mentors, role models, acquaintances, associates, and ‘foes’(😊) for the joy and learning.
Some of what I have learnt in the past 29 years:
- Learn as much as you can
- Pursue excellence: good is not good enough;
- Be humble; grow from your mistakes, aka fail forward;
- Collaborate; get out of your comfort zone; be bold; be decisive; build networks; have sounding boards;
- Be authentic: be the best version of yourself; own your career;
- Grow your leadership skills; integrity counts; growth is a process; leverage your strengths, address your weaknesses;
- Spend and invest wisely: get a financial advisor, if need be; time and chance happens;
- Take time out to recreate; don’t pursue career growth at expense of family;
- Put your trust in God.
Author – Lampe Omoyele
Great job sir. I just used one of these lessons as my daily thought on Facebook this morning https://www.facebook.com/muyiwa.akande.9
Leverage your strength, address your weaknesses.
Thank you sir.
(Y) Thank you Uju.